A question that we often get asked is, “will building a swimming pool add value to my home?” and there really is no right answer here. There are a few things that need to be taken into account, like, average property values in the area, LSM of the average buyer in the area, size of the property and a few others as well.
The main thing to bear in mind when building a swimming pool is the value you will get from it personally. If you have a young family, a swimming pool’s value is the enjoyment that you and your children derive from it. The cost of owning a swimming pool is becoming very expensive in an environment of rising water costs. Look at an investment in a swimming pool primarily as a source of enjoyment and entertainment. You will have many good memories, photographs and listen to the laughter of your children playing in the swimming pool… These are priceless.
If you think that by building a swimming pool you are going to sell your property at a higher price in the short term, you would be wise to consider one of the many proven strategies to add value to your home before selling.
A swimming pool also needs to be very carefully thought through. How big do you make the swimming pool, how deep and of course the shape of the swimming pool is extremely important and should be in keeping with the overall style of your home. I have been to many homes where the swimming pool is beautiful on it’s own but when looked at in conjunction with the style of the home, almost looks like it is from a different era and has fallen from the sky.
In short, building a swimming pool is not a simple matter of looking through a catalog of smimming pool designs and pointing at one that everyone in the family like. Get a professional opinion from the pool sales company who should have a landscaper or landscape architect on their staff.
There are a few hidden costs when you build a swimming pool whether you build it using a second bond or cash and that is your electricity bill will go up quite significantly, your water bill will go up and of course your bond insurance will also increase.
To build and renovate your home can be costly most often people use their home loan to cover their renovation costs. To take out a home loan for renovations will add value to your home in the long run. Listed are 5 easy tips to increase the value of your home.
- Renovations to the exterior of your property: A good impression of your property starts on the outside. Ensure to paint your house and maintain the exterior; old gutters and pipes can detract from the value of your property. Maintain and invest in your garden, a well groomed garden can be a good selling point. The key to renovating your property is to make it inviting and appealing to potential purchasers should you decide to sell.
- Interior renovations: Examine every room in your home; a fresh coat of paint can uplift the entire interior. Kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms and living areas can benefit from renovations. Replace old flooring, update kitchen furniture, add paint to bathrooms, and check fixtures and fittings in all rooms.
- Plan ahead: Unused items should be discarded or sold. Prepare your property in the event that you should sell it one day. Regular maintenance to the interior and exterior of your home is beneficial to the quality and value of your property.
- Property valuation: After renovating the exterior and interior of your property and after you have removed unwanted items from your home. You can ask a real estate agency to evaluate your property. Build and renovate your property to increase the re-sale value of your home.
- Property auction: Should you decide to sell your property without the hassle and a long waiting period consider property auction. Auctioneers can give you a realistic market value of your property. A list of potential purchasers will view your property; thereafter an auction will take place. Property auctions are in the seller’s best interest as there is no requirement to negotiate on the asking price.
To build and renovate your home by making small changes can add value to your property. Bond applications are available from Findbond.co.za. To take out a home loan to cover home renovations is worth your while in the long run. Conducting property valuation before and after renovating your home will reveal an increase in property value. To take out a home loan for renovations will increase the worth of your property and you will attain a return on investment.
Renovating or building a home can be expensive and frustrating; in order to make your home make-over a success you are going to need the help of experts in a number of fields which may include civil engineers, roofing contractors, plumbing contractors or any number of other disciplines depending on the project. Here are some points to consider before you go ahead and put a cost on a project and decide whether do do it with cash, draw from your access bond or to get a second bond:
- Time and money: Often people have an unrealistic idea as to how long renovations would take. Often it takes a lot longer than expected. Factors such as the weather, public holidays, availability of workers and material can put a hold on your renovations or build. So to be sure add an additional few months onto your expected completion as it will work in your favour. Depending on what changes you would like to make to your home; you need to start off with what you can actually afford to do. So starting off with a budget is a definite must in this case as it is easy to overspend. Should you require extra funds you can use your home loan to extend your bond or take money out of your bond in order to cover the costs. Even so there is only so much money you can use from your bond. Should you require a bond companies such as Findbond will be able to assist you.
- Project Managers: Options such as DIY are cheaper but if you want your renovations to take place and be successful it is always a good idea to hire the correct people to do the job. Project Managers are difficult to source or should I say professional and competent Project Managers. It is important to use people who have been recommended. As word of mouth is the most powerful marketing tool using it to find the right person to assist you with your renovations is imperative and will ultimately lead to a successful renovation or build of your home.
- Reliable, cost effective builders with professional workmanship: Another reason to employ a Project Manager is for good contacts and professional workers. As Project Managers can advise you on renovating or building your home they also have contact with builders, plumbers, electricians and painters. Should you choose a reputable Project Manager it often means that they have professional contacts that can offer you quality and satisfactory work. You should not try to hire cost effective workers and use cheap material to get the job done as you are very likely to have problems in the long run.
- Plan B: Once you have discussed all of your wants and desires with your Project Manager ensure that you have extra money aside just in case something does go wrong. Should you want to extend your wall for example or build another level onto your house you need certain building requirements which is when an architect would need to step in. This means that it will cost money to draw up plans and meet with council etc. You should always do research and cost analysis before you commence alterations to your building.
- Noise and invasion of privacy: Renovating often means taking out carpets and replacing them with tiles for example so it is just as invasive as building. You will have workers and builders walking through your home. Therefore you might consider moving out of your home while you renovate. As many people cannot afford to do this you can always use your bond or extend your home loan in order to receive more funds to rent an apartment while your home is being remodelled.
Renovating or building your home can be a lengthy procedure depending on the extent of which you want to alter your living space. Therefore using your bond or applying for an extra bond can assist you in the interim and in the long run. Remodelling your home adds to the value of your home; it is well worth the hassle.
We all have our own ideas of what is important to us and which part of our home reflects our character and personality. By using the services of professional builders or home renovators your ideas will be transformed into reality with both cost effective building materials and energy saving building materials. As we are constantly evolving so should our living space. By building and renovating your home you create a new reflection of yourself.
There are benefits to altering your living space here are a few ideas to consider when creating your one of a kind living space:
1. Space: Instead of purchasing a new home you can utilise your home and extend the building to make it larger and more suitable to you and your family. Changes in your life will propel you to rearrange your life and your area. For example you might choose to work from home and you require a new study. This can be done by extending your home or utilising an existing room and reshaping and redesigning it.
2. Refreshingly different: Change to most people is scary and they find it difficult to cope with anything new. But by replacing the old with the new can be uplifting; change brings a light and energised feel to your surroundings and it has a profound effect on your perception of life! Utilising your living space to create functionality and charm to your home is worth the work. Should you consider changing the building structure of your home and go up another level or to extend walls then you require building approval and plans. You would need to use a project manager that will work with an architect to certify your building ideas. Experienced and professional architects can advise you.
3. As renovations can be costly considering extending your bond may require you to apply for another bond or home loan. Many financial institutions can assist you with financial backup while renovating your home. You could also use money that you have in your bond to finance your build.
4. By extending your house or building a house or renovating your home you will increase the sale value of your house in the long term. Any changes to a property will increase its value and you will have a return on investment when you sell your house.
Simplifying the build by using professional builders and project managers can assist you in creating your dream home. This is largely beneficial to you as it will save you time and money in the long run.
Innovative solutions and designer expertise are key ingredients in making your bathroom or kitchen renovation project a design masterpiece instead of a regular living space.
Should you choose to alter your living you will want expert advice from an interior designer or decorator, it’s incredible how good design can transform a space into a space that allows easy living. From your kitchen to your bathroom a talented team can help you with all your home renovating requirements.
One of a kind companies work with you by taking your ideas and moulding them into functional and aesthetically pleasing works of art. Your choice to redesign your kitchen or bathroom can be done without breaking the bank and making use of the latest materials from eco friendly and light materials to recycled energy efficient materials to maximise space and conserve energy.
Custom made products are generally conservative but trendy and modern in style. By incorporating state of the art technology you will experience your new kitchen, bathroom or study first hand through high-tech graphic design packages that allow you to see the end product first hand.
Experienced installation teams provide you with excellent customer service. Designer kitchens ensure that from the point of manufacture to the point of installation that all of your needs and requirements are met to enjoy a sophisticated and glamorous living space.
Creative insight and organisational skills separates good kitchen and bathroom designers from their rivals. The last thing you want when redesigning your kitchen or bathroom is the frustration of a job done poorly. Make sure that the kitchen or bathroom designers and constructors have a proven track record with contactable references.
Building or renovating your home is a small step away from realising your dream so don’t leave your renovation in the hands of incompetent or designers that lack the vision and experience to transform your space into a dream space that suits your needs within your budget.
Custom made cupboards add class and sophistication to your home. Choosing your wood and the finishing touches is in your control with good designers offering you the choice of fittings and fixtures from numerous suppliers that will fit your budget and style.
Countertops, like granite or composite materials can offer your kitchen and bathroom renovation an elegance and style without costing a fortune so be sure you have all of the latest and innovative countertops to select from. Very often recycled products offer not only beautiful design and elegance but cost effective solutions/
Building and renovating your own living space can be challenging but if you have the idea then specialised companies will make your dreams come true. To offer you top of the range appliances to match your new living space designers should include Miele, Bosch appliances, Gaggenau and Whirlpool. It’s all in a days work and with the correct support and professionalism you can fulfil your heart’s desire! Start today and create your ultimate dream house, make it a reality.
Renovating your living space is a daunting thought and it requires effort and commitment to execute your plan! As the kitchen is considered to be the heart of the home; one needs to carefully consider how one is going to renovate
Here are some hints and ideas to accomplish your dream kitchen:
- As your kitchen is utilised for your family and preparing homely meals; it is also an area that can be utilised for entertaining your guests! Therefore the space should cater for family as well as guests. This means that you would require a functional yet aesthetically pleasing kitchen.
- What are the current issues in the kitchen? Maybe there isn’t enough space, there flow is limited, and maybe colour and texture of cupboards, counters, flooring and lighting need examining. Upgrading your appliances will give your kitchen an instant face lift!
- From a technical point of view a triangle is a seven meter distance from sink, stove and fridge. If you have an expert designing your kitchen then they will know what to consider.
- Choosing what shaped kitchen to install requires thought and planning and using affordable but reliable material can provide you with a kitchen that will last a lifetime.
By creating your kitchen
it should express your taste and your personality. Working with an experienced designer can fulfil your desires.
Renovating ideas for your bathroom:
- Bathrooms are considered to be a space for you to relax and unwind after a stressful day! So the point of renovating your bathroom would be to create a space that can fulfil your needs.
- Design, functionality and flow are key factors in designing any living space. Your bathroom requires careful planning. Here are some points to consider when creating your ideal bathroom:
- Take into consideration the problem areas in the bathroom. Remember that flooring, lighting and colour can make a significant difference to your space.
- As you already have an existing bathroom and you require a few adjustments; it is advisable not to change the plumbing and electricals. Should you want to rearrange the electrical and plumbing then use an experienced electrician and plumber. Let their professional opinion guide you in making a decision
- As you recreate your bathroom make sure that you check for damp problems and water proof the entire area.
- Renovating your home is expensive so try and stick to your budget. By reusing bath, tiles or other fittings will minimise the cost of replacing all of the fittings.
- Choose a theme for your bathroom incorporate colours and texture to bring your ideal bathroom to life. Accessories can highlight your bathroom and add to the style you are looking to create.
- Utilise your space: large, open spaced bathrooms can be created effectively by using larger tiles, mirrors, neutral colours which will broaden the space.
- Adding warmth to your bathroom will emphasise the need to relax and unwind in your newly created bathroom.
- Going green is key so by switching your old taps and shower heads with water saving appliances will minimise the waste of water.
Any renovations to your home need careful planning but in the end it is worthwhile. Extending your home loan or by applying for a bond will help you should you require financial support. The key is to consider every detail and consult with an experienced designer to assist you with fulfilling your dream house! By Adriana Levi