Renovating or building a home can be expensive and frustrating; in order to make your home make-over a success you are going to need the help of experts in a number of fields which may include civil engineers, roofing contractors, plumbing contractors or any number of other disciplines depending on the project. Here are some points to consider before you go ahead and put a cost on a project and decide whether do do it with cash, draw from your access bond or to get a second bond:
- Time and money: Often people have an unrealistic idea as to how long renovations would take. Often it takes a lot longer than expected. Factors such as the weather, public holidays, availability of workers and material can put a hold on your renovations or build. So to be sure add an additional few months onto your expected completion as it will work in your favour. Depending on what changes you would like to make to your home; you need to start off with what you can actually afford to do. So starting off with a budget is a definite must in this case as it is easy to overspend. Should you require extra funds you can use your home loan to extend your bond or take money out of your bond in order to cover the costs. Even so there is only so much money you can use from your bond. Should you require a bond companies such as Findbond will be able to assist you.
- Project Managers: Options such as DIY are cheaper but if you want your renovations to take place and be successful it is always a good idea to hire the correct people to do the job. Project Managers are difficult to source or should I say professional and competent Project Managers. It is important to use people who have been recommended. As word of mouth is the most powerful marketing tool using it to find the right person to assist you with your renovations is imperative and will ultimately lead to a successful renovation or build of your home.
- Reliable, cost effective builders with professional workmanship: Another reason to employ a Project Manager is for good contacts and professional workers. As Project Managers can advise you on renovating or building your home they also have contact with builders, plumbers, electricians and painters. Should you choose a reputable Project Manager it often means that they have professional contacts that can offer you quality and satisfactory work. You should not try to hire cost effective workers and use cheap material to get the job done as you are very likely to have problems in the long run.
- Plan B: Once you have discussed all of your wants and desires with your Project Manager ensure that you have extra money aside just in case something does go wrong. Should you want to extend your wall for example or build another level onto your house you need certain building requirements which is when an architect would need to step in. This means that it will cost money to draw up plans and meet with council etc. You should always do research and cost analysis before you commence alterations to your building.
- Noise and invasion of privacy: Renovating often means taking out carpets and replacing them with tiles for example so it is just as invasive as building. You will have workers and builders walking through your home. Therefore you might consider moving out of your home while you renovate. As many people cannot afford to do this you can always use your bond or extend your home loan in order to receive more funds to rent an apartment while your home is being remodelled.
Renovating or building your home can be a lengthy procedure depending on the extent of which you want to alter your living space. Therefore using your bond or applying for an extra bond can assist you in the interim and in the long run. Remodelling your home adds to the value of your home; it is well worth the hassle.
Renovating your living space is a daunting thought and it requires effort and commitment to execute your plan! As the kitchen is considered to be the heart of the home; one needs to carefully consider how one is going to renovate
Here are some hints and ideas to accomplish your dream kitchen:
- As your kitchen is utilised for your family and preparing homely meals; it is also an area that can be utilised for entertaining your guests! Therefore the space should cater for family as well as guests. This means that you would require a functional yet aesthetically pleasing kitchen.
- What are the current issues in the kitchen? Maybe there isn’t enough space, there flow is limited, and maybe colour and texture of cupboards, counters, flooring and lighting need examining. Upgrading your appliances will give your kitchen an instant face lift!
- From a technical point of view a triangle is a seven meter distance from sink, stove and fridge. If you have an expert designing your kitchen then they will know what to consider.
- Choosing what shaped kitchen to install requires thought and planning and using affordable but reliable material can provide you with a kitchen that will last a lifetime.
By creating your kitchen
it should express your taste and your personality. Working with an experienced designer can fulfil your desires.
Renovating ideas for your bathroom:
- Bathrooms are considered to be a space for you to relax and unwind after a stressful day! So the point of renovating your bathroom would be to create a space that can fulfil your needs.
- Design, functionality and flow are key factors in designing any living space. Your bathroom requires careful planning. Here are some points to consider when creating your ideal bathroom:
- Take into consideration the problem areas in the bathroom. Remember that flooring, lighting and colour can make a significant difference to your space.
- As you already have an existing bathroom and you require a few adjustments; it is advisable not to change the plumbing and electricals. Should you want to rearrange the electrical and plumbing then use an experienced electrician and plumber. Let their professional opinion guide you in making a decision
- As you recreate your bathroom make sure that you check for damp problems and water proof the entire area.
- Renovating your home is expensive so try and stick to your budget. By reusing bath, tiles or other fittings will minimise the cost of replacing all of the fittings.
- Choose a theme for your bathroom incorporate colours and texture to bring your ideal bathroom to life. Accessories can highlight your bathroom and add to the style you are looking to create.
- Utilise your space: large, open spaced bathrooms can be created effectively by using larger tiles, mirrors, neutral colours which will broaden the space.
- Adding warmth to your bathroom will emphasise the need to relax and unwind in your newly created bathroom.
- Going green is key so by switching your old taps and shower heads with water saving appliances will minimise the waste of water.
Any renovations to your home need careful planning but in the end it is worthwhile. Extending your home loan or by applying for a bond will help you should you require financial support. The key is to consider every detail and consult with an experienced designer to assist you with fulfilling your dream house! By Adriana Levi
Renovating bathrooms and kitchens are notoriously expensive and in more cases than not, the cost of the renovation does not add the same value to your home. That of course is assuming that wish to achieve the same or similar capital appreciation from the renovation. Many people simply want a brand new bathroom to indule their senses in and have regard for the cost.
Here are a few great tips to improving your bathroom without the cost of a full bathroom renovation but still achieving a clean, new looking bathroom that adds value to your home. If you are considering selling your home, a minor renovation of the bathrooms and the kitchen at a minimal cost are highly recommended providing you stick with neutral colours.
Replacing your bathroom taps to modern stylish tap designs makes a huge difference to the look and feel of the bathroom. If your bathroom walls are tiled, clean the grout or replace it with fresh new grout. Then take a look at the window coverings, remove the old and replace with new blinds, silver or natural wood blinds make a massive difference to the entire look of the bathroom.
Having said this, if your bathroom fittings are chipped, cracked or any colour other than white, I am afraid they have to come out and be replaced with new bathroom fittings. Modernizing your bathroom can be a costly exercise, however this is one area where you do not want to skimp too much. Hygienic looking bathrooms that have a modern feel have been known to swing a deal on a home. These 2 bathrooms are very good examples of the types of bathrooms that sell houses.
Both are clean and fairly stark with modern fitting and taps. Never ever use carpets in a bathroom, they breed germs and anu prospective buyer will put replacement of a kitchen carpet as a first priority if they buy the home.
What you really want to achieve with renovating your bathroom if you are selling, is to make it attractive and leave nothing for the new owner to have to do immediately.